Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Ideas for Keyboarding Practice

Now that we have finished Scantron testing, it is time to start typing!

We use Type to Learn during technology class. I spend a lot of time saying: "Just Keep Typing" to the tune of "Just Keep Swimming" from Finding Nemo :) The goal is that our students should be typing at least 25 words per minute by the end of 5th grade. We do a lot of keyboarding at HTS in the Upper School!

I know many of my students are eager to meet the 25 words per minute goal, so I offer a menu of web-based games for fun to practice at home - or work on during class-time. Be sure to always sit up straight, keep your feet on the ground, and keep your fingers on the home keys when you practice keyboarding! I promise - you'll be a faster typist if you follow those tips.

These games are great for our younger students. Be sure to try Alpha Munchies, Cup Stacking and Keyboard Challenge:








This is a very methodical approach to typing - carefully structured lessons are offered in a colorful, fun format. I like it because the lessons constantly prompt the kids to keep their hands on the home keys. I have to report that various critters with the Scottish accent who direct the efforts seems to get quite a few giggles in class.




This site offers a comprehensive menu of games.
Try them out, and let me know which ones you like best!






I have to admit, I find the advertising a bit distracting on this site, but the games are very fun... especially "Desert Typing Racer."




This is always a favorite among our students - but beware... it gets hard very quickly!!




Happy Typing!
Mrs. Morell

No comments:

Post a Comment